Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saturday Song Stories - "Enough For Me"

Well here we are...this is the last song story. I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I have. If you are anything like me, a song means so much more to you when you know the history behind its creation. I will still blog regularly, so keep checking back.


"Enough For Me" seemed like a natural fit for the end of the record. I had trouble with the song order on the album, but that one screamed to be placed at the end.

It was actually written on-the-spot at a youth pastor's seminar. I was leading worship at this seminar, and the speaker gave a talk on God being all that we need. Before his presentation, he asked if I knew "Your Grace is Enough" because he wanted it played at the end. At the time, I didn't know the song, so I said, "No but I'll figure something out." During his presentation, I didn't listen to a word he said, but ended up writing some simple lyrics in my head. When his talk was done, I picked up my guitar and improvised a chord progression and melody line.

That might explain the simplicity of the song. That doesn't happen to me often. Some guys I know are great at coming up with spontaneous worship songs. Me...not so much. I love improvising songs that are meant to be funny and working off of the crowd, but the serious stuff doesn't come easily.

Some time later, I picked up a dobro that I had borrowed and thought, "Hmmm...I wonder." And sure enough, this song laid better on the dobro than it did on my regular acoustic. I don't play this song live often, simply because I don't own a dobro. Which reminds me...

If you would like to donate money to the "Buy Dan a Dobro" fund, please contact me. Please...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love "Enough For Me"...Dobro or no Dobro! :-) Thank you for the story behind the song, as well. I always love hearing how an artist came about writing their songs. It's another way to really share your heart, and strike a chord with the listeners who connect with it.

Are you on Facebook Dan? You need to get on Facebook! :-)

Keep up the great music...you're fantastic!!

Sherry Griffin
VOAR Radio