Sunday, November 23, 2008

Saturday Song Stories - "California"

The concept behind this song is pretty straight-forward. Boy has desk job. Boy comes to dislike desk job. Boy quits desk job. Boy packs car full of people that make his life worth living. Boy drives 20 hours to California.

Michelle and I used to live in Kelowna BC. The aforementioned scenario was a very real temptation because Los Angeles was 20 hours of driving away from our door step. We didn't actually make the journey to California. Although, when I did quit my job, I put my family in a plane and went to Newfoundland. It's not exactly California, but most of the people that we love live there, so that counts for something.

Although I did lead a youth missions trip to Tijuana. We drove straight from K-Town to L.A. and then on to Tijuana. As we drove up through Oregon and California, I was simply amazed at how close the landscape was to what I had seen on the Road Runner cartoons. But in a 15 passenger van with ten people for such a large amount of time, there were times when I wished Wile-E-Coyote would come and eat me. I would have gladly surrendered to his "Acme" bombs.

I really like the line, "Everything in moderation, except love." That was sort of a reaction to the way people indulge in everything but the things that they should indulge in. It's just a roundabout way of quoting the great James Taylor, who wrote, "Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel."

You can check out California on my Myspace Page.

No comments: