Sunday, December 7, 2008

"People Make Me Happy"

On Saturday, I was sitting in Subway with my two year old daughter. We were sitting at a table next to a window, and the place was packed with people, most of whom were obviously taking a break from Christmas shopping. We, on the other hand, were in no rush.

As we leisurely ate our lunch, we watched a 5 foot robotic Santa dance and sing everytime someone passed. It was sort of annoying and a guy a few tables up from me was obviously bothered by the constant "Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!" Then it would break into a redition of "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." in a key thay was much too low. But my daughter loved it. I loved watching her because she was so content.

Then out of the blue, she said to me, "I'm happy". Naturally I asked her why she was happy and expected the standard answer which usually has to do with cookies. She thought hard. I knew she had a reason in her 2 year old brain but was having trouble finding words that could convey it. Then she slowly said..."People make me happy."

I knew what she meant - being out with Daddy and having his undivided attention made her happy. But I liked the way that she put it..."People make me happy." I think I might give that a shot this Christmas. I might make more of an effort to enjoy people, and then tell them how happy they make me.

No comments: