Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saturday Song Stories - "Struggling"

After a week-long absence, the Song Stories are back. I know, you've been losing sleep ;)

When I first started to develop a style of guitar playing, using my fingers rather than a pick, I wrote a chord progression that I thought was pretty catchy. The lyrics that went along with it were a bit of an anti-war protest thing, that focused on the Israeli-Palestinian struggle. I know, pretty light stuff...

But it was one of those songs that I liked but I didn't want to put on "Hope".

During the time I was recording the album, I remember sitting on the couch with my daughter. All I really wanted to do was hold her, but she kept getting up and down, up and down. I wanted to sit with her for a while, but she wanted to use me as a piece of playground equipment.

Then it sort of dawned on me; I do that to God. Why can't I just sit with him? Why do I get up and get down, up and down? Often I am not good at abiding in Him. I am much too restless for my own good. Anyway, I wrote the lyrics to "Struggling" and coupled it with the chord progression that I spoke of earlier. "Struggling" was born.

No comments: