Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Song Stories - "Restless Wanderer"

Restless wanderer is a song for my family. I love them. I wanted to write a song about them. I almost didn't include it because that sounds so cliche. So, I decided to write a song that admits my shortcomings, but also my good-intentions and desire to live up to the task at hand.

The line, "Lately I've been forming in myself the character of Cain", is reference to his disregard for his family members, and how when he had killed his brother, he lamented the fact that he would now be a restless wanderer on the earth (Genesis 4:12,14). This is how many men live their lives; wandering. Not by having affairs, maybe, but by not giving the spiritual care to their families that is required of them. To me, wandering is a metaphor for not living up to the high calling of fatherhood, and husbandhood (if that is a word) and giving more care to other things. Not settling down, I guess, or realizing just how much our actions affect our families.

In my opinion, this verse sums up the point of the song. "Little Ones with innocent eyes, reminding me to hope that the seeds I've sown in you will bear some fruit. If I've scattered weeds, I pray they're choked out by my love, both for my Savior and the love I have for you."

I really like this song because it is the most real one on the album. First of all, the false start in the intro (which my mother totally hated) is completely real. The other guy talking ("Any time.")is Dean Stairs, my producer. Secondly, as you may have noticed, there are some "accidental variations" in the chord progression at a couple of points, which I love. And thirdly, the whole song has a Blue-Rodeo doing a rough practice in a smoky room sort of vibe to it, almost like you shouldn't be there.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I enjoy the false start on this song, it made me smile.

Your CD is my current car music, and I am liking it so far. Great job!