Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Bad Moods and TV Preachers

I'm in a bit of a bad mood this morning. Here's my story...

Our family is approaching Christmas a little bit differently this year. Every year we spend money on gifts that people don't really need, and we give them to people that we probably wouldn't give them to except for the fact that we feel a sense of obligation. You buy me a $15 gift that I'll never use, and I'll buy you a $15 gift that you never use, and we'll call ourselves generous. I'm not sure that generosity is a virtue unless it is expressed thoughtfully and directed toward people that genuinely need it.

So we are changing the way that we celebrate. One of those changes is that for the past month, I have been offering my brand new original Christmas song on my website, and all the money from the sale if it goes towards giving clean water to a school in the border region of Thailand. It only takes a paltry $2500 to improve the quality of life for hundreds of people. Many of these children have nothing - not even shoes! And compared to the millions that will be spent on useless Christmas gifts for people that don't need them this holiday season, $2500 is not a lot of money at all. I`m just trying to use what little gifts I have to redistribute some of the wealth. So far we are not quite half of the way to our goal. Please go to www.imaginethailand.org to see the effects of this incredible ministry.

But that's not why I'm in a bad mood...

I also have a brother in Mexico who is working with orphaned and abandoned children through Outreach Adventures Relief Organization of Canada. Some of the stories that come from that place would break your heart, and that ministry is literally providing hope and a future for children who would otherwise have nothing. But like many, their ministry has significant financial need this Christmas and they are stuggling to find the money that they need. (You can learn more about the ministry that Rick and Lisa are a part of atwww.oaroc.com)

I believe that God provides. And I know that He will provide for the water project and for my brother. Ultimately He is able to meet any need that we have, and He does it on a regular basis...much more often than we give Him credit for.

That's not why I'm in a bad mood either...

Here's why I'm in a bad mood.

While trying to find a children's show on television for my daughter, we stumbled across a television preacher. I hate to admit it, but that ruined my breakfast pretty quickly.

I'm not against all television preachers...just the ones that sit on leather chairs and wear flashy suits and say that God told them that 10,000 people watching have to send $1000, so that God will bless them and heal them and give them a promotion. Because, as we all know, God is running some sort of divine frequent flyer program, where if you give someone a thousand bucks you can order a new toaster.

While the idea of sowing and reaping is a clear principle in the scripture, God never promises that he will make us rich. Lets be clear on that. On the contrary, God promises quite a few things that many of us would never choose for ourselves. And...we should give out of hearts of gratitude for what God has already given us, not so we can get more.

I also fear these people are ripping off those who are searching for hope. Even if you are sending every cent of that money to poor families in the poorest areas of the world, deceit and manuipulation do not justify the end result.

I also know that while OAROC and Imagine Thailand are doing incredible things for people in practical ways, and are passionately doing the work of Jesus by showing His love and acceptance to those who have been marginalized, 10000 people will still send in $1000 each and line the pockets of these TV hucksters. All in the name of God. I have my doubts if God is really factored into the equation at all.

God has blessed us already. I want to give in response to that, thoughfully and thankfully.

So you'll have to excuse my bad mood this morning.

No comments: